www.flickr.com
astrobuddha's Rockett And Zoe photoset astrobuddha's Rockett And Zoe photoset

August 2, 2005

Table for Two

Table for Two -- No Reservations Needed - For the first six months, babies need only breastmilk. Exclusive breastfeeding
is in some ways a table for two (mother and baby), where no reservations are needed and the kid eats for free. At six months, the menu should gradually be expanded to include other foods.

This is the slogan for World Breastfeeding Week (August 1-7) celebrated in 120 different countries. How timely! I have been reading La Leche's book on breastfeeding. The book is a little too preachy for my taste, but the chapter on going back to work I think will come in handy.

It's funny how suddenly body parts that used to be for pleasure suddenly have a very real and very functional and basic purpose. Experiencing pregnancy has changed the way that I look at and treat my body. This is the first time that I have actually paid attention to nutrition and exercise (ok, well that one I'm working on...I'm trying to get into the prenatal yoga thing). I'm hoping that after pregnancy and breastfeeding that I will be conditioned to lead a healthy lifestyle and not revert back to old ways.

No comments: